In 2020, Maryland joined a growing list of US states that has legalized sports betting. The move came after the PASPA bill, which had stood since 1992, was repealed in 2018. The Supreme Court ruled that the law was unconstitutional. Since then, US states have been free to legalize and regulate sports betting, setting their own rules on whether residents are able to sign up and bet online or in person.
Maryland held a voter’s referendum in November 2020, giving residents of the state the power to decide whether or not to bring legal betting to MD. Voters overwhelmingly voted for yes, which allowed legislators to take the next steps. Since then, Governor Larry Hogan signed the new sports betting bill into law in May 2021, and numerous sports betting companies have arrived in the state.
Maryland sports betting is now live and ready for bettors to make the most of, but where to start? In this guide, you can learn everything there is to know about MD betting, including where to bet, what kind of bets are available, and how to get started.
What Kind of Sports Betting is Available in Maryland?
Maryland’s new sports betting bill has approved both online and in-person sports betting. This means that anyone in the state who is at least twenty-one years old will be able to place sports bets at a legal sports betting site or at a casino or retail sportsbook.
As well as offering in-person sports betting at casinos, race tracks, and sportsbooks, Maryland has offered licenses to its three major sports teams. That means fans of the Baltimore Orioles and Baltimore Ravens will be able to place bets at the stadium before the game.
Bettors in Maryland are now able to wager on all major league sports, including college football and basketball, as well as European basketball leagues, cricket, and rugby. Full betting markets are available, with plenty of options to choose from on major games.
Maryland Sports Betting Sites
Since Maryland first approved sports betting in May 2021, several betting sites have already been launched for residents to sign up and use. As long as you’re within the state borders and at least twenty-one years old, you’ll be able to sign up and start betting at any of the following sites:
- BetMGM – MGM is a big Las Vegas casino brand that has recently started its own sportsbook. The site was one of the first to launch in Maryland and offers a wide range of sports betting markets as well as some great bonuses.
- Caesar’s Sportsbook – Caesar’s Entertainment owns the Horseshoe Casino in MD, so it’s no surprise that the brand has opened its online sportsbook here in the state. You can sign up on desktop or on mobile, and it’s really easy to place any kind of bet.
- FanDuel – FanDuel has grown into one of the biggest sports betting brands in the US, with sites available in most legal states. Maryland is the latest state to be able to enjoy a FanDuel sportsbook, and the site has plenty of great features that make it worth signing up to.
- TwinSpires – The TwinSpires sportsbook is partnered with Churchill Downs racetrack and aims to provide a smooth and enjoyable online betting experience. While it isn’t as well known nationally as some of the other sportsbooks on this list, it still offers an excellent range of odds on lots of popular betting markets.
- PointsBet – PointsBet is an Australian betting brand but has quickly made a name for itself in the US thanks to some excellent odds and promotions. PointsBet also offers a completely different way to bet, providing something new for MD bettors and also offering some fantastic features and a mobile app to download.
How to Start Betting in MD
If you’d like to start betting in MD, you need to first decide whether to bet online or in person. If you’re betting in-person, it’s as simple as heading to a casino, racetrack, or retail sportsbook, showing your ID, and requesting your bet. If you’d like to bet online, just follow these steps:
- Choose one of the legal sports betting sites that are licensed in Maryland
- Sign up using your full details and upload a copy of your ID
Make your first deposit to claim your welcome bonus and start betting